For the larger ruffle on the girl's apron:
Cut the pieces as indicated on the diagram, and sew the two strips together at one end. Press the seam flat and top stitch each side of the seam so that there is very little bulk at the seam. If you have a serger, you could probably just serge the seam, but that would end up a little bulkier. In any case, the edges need to be taken care of somehow so they don't fray. This needs to be a sturdy apron! I didn't know how best to do the pleated ruffle, but I'll tell you how I did it. If you know of an easier or faster way, go for it!
First I sewed the long strip of ruffle to the apron at each end, using a vertical stitch. Then I sewed the centre of the ruffle to the centre of the apron. Next I matched the centre of each hanging half of the ruffle with the centre of that half of the apron, which left me with four loops. Then I did it again with the centre of each of those loops. Eventually, when I got the ruffles to be the size I wanted them to be, I had a strip of fabric attached to the apron at 17 points. Then I just started at one end of the apron and sewed over all 16 loops to make pleats. I didn't even iron them.
For the small red ruffles:
Cut strips of fabric about 1.5 inches wide. Fold them in half lengthwise (wrong side out) and sew with about 1/4 inch seam allowance. Turn right side out to make long skinny tubes, and press flat with the seam at one edge. Fold the end under, place on the apron where you want the ruffle to start, and get it started by sewing 2-3 stitches in from the end. Now here comes the tedious part: With the sewing needle in the fabric, lift the presser foot and shove a pleat of fabric under it. Lower the presser foot and stitch 3-4 stitches (my stitch length was set to medium-long). Lift the presser foot again, shove another pleat of fabric under, lower the foot and stitch. Repeat until you get to either the end of your pleating fabric or the end of your apron. If you need to start another strip before you're done, fold the end over and place it on top of the end of the old strip, then continue as usual. Did that make sense at all? I wasn't trying to make perfectly even pleats.
For the girls' monograms:
I tried to do the G freehand like I did the boy's J, but it wasn't working out. So I found a font I liked in Microsoft word (Curlz), made it the right size (300pt), and printed out the letters I needed, and cut them apart. Then I taped the paper to the apron, put the apron in an embroidery hoop, and backstitched the outline of the letters through both fabric and paper. When I was done, I used my needle to perforate between the stitches, and ripped the paper out.
And that's about it. If you have any questions please let me know. If I left something out and you're confused, feel free to ask. So there is my first tutorial. I think I'm too wordy and too apt to just wing it with my projects to do many tutorials.