Tuesday, 14 July 2009

Price my Space Party...if the "space" can be one window.

All of my "space" is a work in progress, so I didn't think I had anything to contribute to the Nester's Price My Space party. But then I remembered that I hadn't shared the cost for the roman blinds I made. I figured out exactly how much it cost me for materials for my one trial blind, because I wanted to see how it compared to Walmart's $30 blackout blinds that didn't come in the right width, and also to the $250 estimate I got from the budget blinds place for custom blinds (that estimate was just for blinds made of the blackout liner only, with no facing fabric).
My total: $37.75
Of course I did actually spend more than that because I couldn't buy the exact amount of the materials that I needed. But still, I was impressed that it didn't cost more! The facing fabric is from a 5x12 canvas dropcloth that was $14.97, and the blackout lining (the most expensive part) was from a discount fabric store for $6.99 per metre. All the rest of the stuff came from Home Depot and Fabricland (just the nylon cord is from the expensive fabric store).

3 comments:

  1. I think that is a great place for a custom window covering that fits perfectly and does exactly what you need it to do.

    Great job!

    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to make a roman blind, that's the one thing I havn't made. Yours looks fabulous and the price is perfect. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jo - what a fabulous roman blind you made - very impressive! I wish I had those skills. Great deal too! Thank you for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Marie
    http://emmacallsmemama.com

    ReplyDelete