Update: I have posted a tutorial for these aprons.
I was sorting my fabric a few weeks ago when I came across some pieces that I thought would look great in my friend's kitchen. She likes to bake, so I decided to make some aprons for her kids.
This is what I started with:
And these are the results:
I did embroidered the kids' initials on each. Juliana is modeling her own, and the one for my friend's son. The one for her daughter is the same as Juli's. I didn't want to leave the babies out either, so I made bibs for Nico and J's youngest. Nico's bib isn't actually finished yet.
I was going to do a tutorial for the aprons, but I always feel kind of silly explaining stuff that is intuitive to me, but I don't want to go the other way and not explain important steps. Basically, I just cut the long edges off to form the waist ties and hemmed the cut side, then cut the big section to the size and shape I wanted and hemmed it too. I used the cut-off fabric to make the pocket on the boy's apron, the neck straps, and the ruffle on the bottom of the girls' aprons. I have a great dark red fabric that I used for the little ruffles. I wish I had more of that fabric, it's my favourite right now. I have about a metre left.
And of course I had to have fun wrapping this just-because-gift.
They all came over today and we had fun baking with the kids. Some of the resulting gingerbread cookies may not be completely edible, but all three of the kids had fun and I think the moms did too. Unfortunately, the babies were a little fussy.
PS: I apologise for the sideways pictures. Blogger really needs to add the option to rotate pictures to their so-called new and improved posting thingy.
I'm linking this post to Kimba's DIY day, Homebody Holly's Thrifty Gifty party, and Infarrantly Creative's Pennywise Presents party.