A few weeks ago I raided the fabric store's remnant bin again. I got an embroidered ivory piece that was only 11 inches wide. I wasn't sure what I could do with it, since the scalloped edge was only on the short sides. I decided to make a shirt for Juliana.
I measured her chest, which was 22 inches. If my fabric was any narrower, I wouldn't have been able to use it. Because of the lack of fabric, I couldn't make the front piece flare out like I had intended. So I just added the extra flare onto the two back pieces. The side seams slant to the front, and I think it makes an interesting design element.
I flat-felled the seams because I have no serger or pinking shears to finish the raw edges, and I've always wanted to try it. There's elastic in the back and little pleats in the straps.Except for the little triangles cut to angle the sides of the back pieces, I used every square inch of fabric. I love how the little pleated pockets turned out.
I need to sew under the top corners of the front so they don't stick out, and I think I'm going to sew both straps in the centre of the back instead. But other than that, I love this little top.