Back in January, I really wanted to make something for myself out of a piece of wool fabric I had. But I wanted it to be easy. No zippers, no button holes. So I made a circle skirt with a waistband. I used my favourite skirt for the waistband pattern. I also added a ruffle at the bottom, made out of a loosely-woven piece of polyester-ish fabric. I think I originally bought that remnant to cover a lampshade. But the texture and weight is a good contrast for the wool. I wasn't sure about the ruffle at first.
To avoid button holes, I made button loops instead. That allowed me to avoid making a button placket. I used olive green thread for the top stitching, just because I felt like it.
I love this skirt. There is only one thing I don't like about it, and that's the length at the front. It didn't occur to me that I would need to shorten it a little at the front to make it look even all around. Oh well.
I had the skirt completely done except for one row of top-stitching and the buttons, from January through March. I think in total this skirt took me about two hours to make. Kevin was my obliging photographer today, and he kept doing weird things, so I have an annoyed look on my face in a few of the pictures, like so:
I think I need to get some cowboy boots to wear with this.
Edited to add: I think the problem with the front being longer isn't that I needed to shorten it. I think it's just because the waistband is actually a little big! If I took it in about 2 inches, I think it would be perfect. But I can't really do that without taking the whole skirt apart. Maybe I could move the buttons over to fix it.