You may remember an old, worn brown chair I posted about a week or two ago. Well, this is it! It's much better now. I took the upholstery off on Saturday, and painted the legs with two coats of Kilz primer (because it's supposed to cover rust...the metal leg ends were rusty). On Sunday, I painted two coats of semi-gloss white paint on the legs, and when it was dry and the kids were in bed, I did the upholstery. This morning, I just had to do the tufting and attach the back. I still need to scotchguard it.
I decided to add tufting to the back, and when I took it apart, I discovered that it was originally tufted. I wasn't sure whether to do the piping or not. I wanted it to be easy. I'm so glad I did! It wouldn't have looked nearly as well done if I hadn't added the piping. I had planned to use the flowered fabric for the whole thing, but I already had some piping that I made a while ago, and the green looked good, so I went with it! By the way, using piping is so easy.
Then I couldn't resist using the green fabric on the back too. The chair was given to me, and I used fabric, staples, tacks, and paint that I already had. So this chair cost me $2.95 for the buttons.
The kids love it too. Nick keeps climbing on it. Juliana said this morning, before the chair was finished, "It looks good as new already!" But then she said that right after I took off the old fabric too, with the old dusty batting showing. Speaking of batting, I also added 2 layers of polyester quilt batting (the fluffy kind).
Now I just need to find a place for this chair. It's too short to use it for what I wanted it for. Juliana wants it in her room. Maybe my mother-in-law will want it back now...