Tuesday, 24 January 2012
Whole Wheat Banana Bread
I'm playing the game again. So I can't have sugar, white flour, etc, etc, etc. I needed to bring a snack to our Tuesday morning moms' group. This is what I came up with. My starting point was the King Arthur Whole Wheat Banana Bread recipe, but with several modifications.
My Whole Wheat Banana Bread
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup honey
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp (rounded, not level) baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x5 loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, mash bananas and stir in next 5 ingredients.
3. Add remaining ingredients into the mix. Mix well.
4. Pour into a the prepared loaf pan.
5. Bake 60 minutes, removing from oven when toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes then remove from pan to cool completely on a baking rack.
Some notes: The first time I made this, I substituted spelt flour for about 1/2 a cup of the whole wheat. I liked the texture much better. The next time I made it, with all whole wheat, it was denser, but still delicious.
PS: To a Pretty Life now has a facebook page and an advertise page...check it out and spread the word!