Tuesday, 10 April 2012
Polka-Dot Nursing Cover
I had no particular project planned for our four day Easter weekend. So Saturday morning, I woke up, fed the kids, and browsed the internet ("working" I call it). I came across the blog see kate sew, and in particular, a tutorial for a ruffled nursing cover.
I've seen my friends use these, and should have used one when I was nursing Nick. He was squirmy! And my technique that I used for Juliana (receiving blanket tucked under a bra strap) didn't work for him. I actually shopped for one, but couldn't bring myself to pay the $50 for the ones I found.
So when I saw this tutorial, I simply had to make it! Never mind that I don't have nursing kids any more! I quickly shuffled mentally through my list of friends to see who is nursing and doesn't already have this type of cover. Once I decided on a recipient, the hard part was over! The fabric choice was inevitable, since the polka-dot is the only kind of quilting cotton I have (Every time I pull out this fabric to make something, Nick says, "Purse! Mommy's purse!").
This was such an easy project to make! I had everything I needed except D-rings and boning. I bought the D-rings, and used plastic zip-ties for the boning, the same as I did for my regency short stays. I needed 14 inch boning, and my zip ties were only 11 inches, so I hot-glued two together to make the right length. This also helped to create the curve. I used four zip ties in total.
And of course I couldn't leave it plain. So I added a rosette embellishment. It attaches with a clip.
The nursing cover kind of looks like an apron hanging so prettily on my apron hook. I may have to use this fabric for a new apron, since I have such a lot of it.