As promised, here is the sort-of-final reveal of my refashioned little black dress! I posted on Friday that I was taking it apart. This is what I did with it:
The problems: The waistband was too small, especially compared to the too-stretchy smocked-back bodice. The solution: replace the waistband! The material I used is a putty-tan-coloured stretchy woven fabric. I actually made it too wide, so I'll eventually be fixing that when I replace the zipper.
A few people commented on Friday's post, "I wouldn't know where to start!" So I'll show you how I started. I had no idea exactly how I was going to fix this dress. I only knew it wasn't wearable as it was and it was a final sale so I couldn't return it. I began with taking apart the problem area. The waistband. Then I tried it on again. Looks like a longer waistband would solve the problem! So I continued with removing the skirt and put in the new waistband, complete with lining of the same fabric.
The problem now, though, is that the zipper is too short. I can barely shimmy the dress on over my boy-shaped hips. I guess that's what comes of a nearly-29-year-old mama shopping at a store aimed at teenagers! Replacing the zipper (and adjusting the waistband width) will allow me to tighten up the bodice so I won't need to add straps. If I left it as is, I think I'd need straps to feel comfortable in the dress.
The dress is also super short. But I figure it will be fine for a tropical vacation, and then after I can wear it with leggings or jeans. I cut my head out of the above pictures because I have post-swimming hair and odd facial expressions. I figured seeing too much of my pasty white legs would be enough for one day. Sorry. So the only smile you get from me today is the one below from the before picture.