Thursday, 26 July 2012
First Custom Sewing Job
This week I made another nursing cover, along with four extra-large flannel receiving blankets. This time it was a commission for a friend. She picked the adorable fabrics and I sewed them up. The blankets took longer than I expected to hem them, because I was very picky about getting straight hems and mitring the corners. I actually used a homemade hem gauge! I usually just eyeball it. Although I think I'll be using my gauge from now on because it was so much easier (unlike real hem gauges which I've rebelled against ever since my mom tried to teach me how to use one when I was a kid).
But to make up for it, the nursing cover took less time because I used real plastic boning instead of the zip ties. Much easier to sew around!
The blankets are made from 1.2 metres of flannel, which I washed in hot water (to shrink) and salt (to keep the colour from running). Then I just straightened the non-selvedge ends and did a half-inch hem.
I also made a little pouch for the nursing cover. Maybe it will be useful for the new mama to keep it from floating around the diaper bag, or maybe it will just make it look good for the gift-giving. Who knows.