I found a pattern that I absolutely could not resist making. And I knew the perfect person to make it for! My adorable niece. I babysit her on week days, so it was easy to make sure it fit. The picture above is the final size. The two pictures below are from the first time I finished it back. It looked ok when I first put it on her, but soon stretched and was over her eyes. So, since I needed to remove an inch or two, I didn't bother delicately undoing the kitchener graft. I just cut it up the back, (Gasp!) undid the portion needed, then re-knit the last two rows.
I made a few modifications, and finished it off with a navy button, because it was the biggest I had.
I'm becoming more confident with the kitchener graft now. This is the best-looking one I've done yet.
I tried my hand a short rows for the first, and had a pretty good result. But I think I wrapped the stitches the wrong way on the purl side, so I ended up with two flaws in the final result.
So I embroidered a few imperfect snowflakes over them, using leftover yarn from the cowl I made for my niece's mama.
Also linked to the All Star Block Party. Couldn't find the button quickly, I'm in a hurry this morning. We have a play date.