Unfortunately for me, with my work deadlines, I'm not really able to spend time down there dealing with that mess right now. But what I can do right now is declutter the main floor a little. One item at a time. If I don't love it, I will list it. Even if it's only one thing per day, I may as well get a move on. And the bonus of doing this so slowly, instead of listing huge batches of stuff, is that I don't have to have a place to store the piles of stuff for sale. The one thing I listed today (Neighbourhood-based Facebook buy and sell groups are the best!), is already pending pick up.
I've already bought a few things with my household stash. Like my caned velvet chair. I love that chair. So does my daughter. She sits there to read or useher rainbow loom. And I have a few other things in the back of my mind that I want to keep an eye out for. But It's probably about time I make a formal list. With one rule: If it isn't exactly what I need, and/or I don't love it, I won't buy it. So here's what I'm looking for:
- 6x9 to 10x13 natural fiber rug. Jute or wool, in neutral colours (maybe with some blues and greens, depending on the pattern and style). I've found a few I like, but they're either too small (5'x8' won't work much better than the $20 4'x6' I'm currently using), or too expensive and/or I'm not 100% sure it's what I want. I have a really hard time committing to fabric-type furnishings. Rugs, curtains, lamps, upholstery...I'm clueless.
- White/Off-white dishes. I can't wait 'til the day I can get rid of our ugly grey Ikea dishes and our ugly rainbow Walmart dishes. I even asked my husband if I could get rid of them already. We have enough pretty dishes to be able to serve a meal for our family of four. But he vetoed that idea.
- Dining room light fixture for $25 or less. I want a 5 or 6 arm wrought-iron candelabra, as simple as possible...no curly-ques or shades or dangly bits.
- Drum-style lampshades that will fit my lamps. As in, not too wide or too short. In a neutral colour.
- Antique wooden wall shelves, furniture, or boxes/crates.
- Curtains. No idea what I want them to look like. But I want them lighter and more farmhouse-worthy than the red, tan, and brown striped curtains I made several years ago. Like maybe unbleached linen. The problem with something lighter is that the south- and west-facing windows make the house ridiculously hot in the summer, so I need something lined. Maybe I'll make some black-out roman shades for the living room like I did for our bedroom upstairs.
- King-size headboard and bed frame.
- King-size 100% linen bed sheets.
- Chalk paint and soft wax. I have a few things that need painting, that I don't trust latex paint for, like my mom's cane-back chair.
For my inspiration, I've recently found a blog that perfectly embodies the style I'm aiming for. Of course, her home is an 1867 farmhouse, while mine is a 2007 suburban duplex. So I'll have to work a little harder for the farmhouse vibe. If only I was allowed to paint the cabinets...
What's on your list?